Describe a thing you did to learn another language.
You should say
- What language did you learn?
- What do you do?
- How does it help you learn the language?
- And how do you feel about it?
• Well to be honest in India I believe right from a young age a person has to learn a minimum of three languages during school time it can be more depending on the level of your school like some international schools make students learn 4 or even more languages.
• So out of the three one is English and other is our national language Hindi and the third one is our state mother tongue it can be different for different people as we have more than 28 states but in my case it was Gujarati.
• I feel that knowing a foreign language allows us to understand different people, cultures, and environments but as of now let’s talk about the struggle I faced to learn English.
• My dad isn’t much educated in terms of education he only studied till the 4th standard but he had this undying dream of making me a doctor and he knew that I will have to learn English so he made sure that I do.
• He added me to English medium school where he instructed all teachers to make me speak in English and if I don’t do they are free to punish me and he also gave extra private tuition where I went for 3 hours daily there also I got the same treatment but I knew it was for my good so I never retaliated and accepted my dad’s wishes.
• So, during school and tuitions even if others spoke another language I always went and spoke in English unless it was a different language class like Hindi or Gujarati in which I spoke their respective languages.
• But after that even at home, I started reading English newspapers even though I hate reading newspapers then I started watching everything in English: music, movies, dramas and even cartoons. I even requested dad especially to add all channels in English which are of my interest and he called the TV connection in charge and made sure it was implemented.
• But I was an introvert so I didn’t talk much and because of this I always lacked behind my elder sister when it came to speaking in English which always infuriated me and filled me with an unrealistic passion for outdoing her but as far as I remember at least until we studied together I couldn't achieve that feat but I didn’t give up even during college I kept doing the same things but I increased the frequency of talks with others and I started singing English songs and watch everything in English or with English subtitles.
• After 5 years finally did it I passed her in terms of speech and I could speak nonchalantly in English for hours without hesitation or thinking about what to speak.
• So, these were the things I did for learning and master a language but now I imply the same things to all the languages I try to learn I plan to learn French, Korean, and Japanese in the future.
For more interesting IELTS speaking topics, stay connected to Vinay Patel Classes (IELTS coaching institute in Ahmedabad).
Language learning is an active process that begins at birth and continues throughout life. Students learn language as they use it to communicate their thoughts, feelings, and experiences, establish relationships with family members and friends, and strive to make sense and order of their world. Learning another language also provides many other benefits including greater academic achievement, greater cognitive development, and more positive attitudes towards other languages and cultures. Simply put, language learning is necessary for students to effectively function in the modern global marketplace. IELTS is the way to learn foreign country language. Follow some IELTS tips and guidelines to get better score.ReplyDelete